Friday, March 23, 2007

Creationism - Ignorant but proud

I recently found myself stopped in traffic behind a car with this symbol on the back. I had to laugh, wondering whether the owner of this car realized the irony involved with this magnet. I would not be at all surprised to learn that the driver thinks his religion counts as "truth" simply because he believes it. It probably doesn't even strike him as absurd that his primary reason for believing it is almost certainly that he learned it from his parents.

How much arrogance is required to elevate one's personal beliefs into absolute truth? Never mind that there is a consensus in the scientific community supporting Darwin's theory of evolution. "Who are these scientists to tell me that I'm wrong?" I wonder if the driver could even articulate the basics of the theory he mocks here.

No comments: