Sunday, August 19, 2007

Buddah Said

Very interesting, very true. Right is right and wrong is wrong...no matter who said it first...or what nation it was said in. Have we lost sight of this?
clipped from www.lucidcafe.com

Buddha said:

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. Do not believe anything because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and the benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.

Work on yourself—be engaged in appropriate self-improvement.
Effort should be properly balanced between trying too hard and not trying hard
enough.
Speak the truth if it is useful and timely.
  • Abstain from telling lies.
  • abandon thoughts that have to do with bringing suffering to any conscious being; cultivate thoughts that are of loving kindness, that are based on caring for others' suffering, and sympathetic joy in others' happiness.
  •  blog it

    1 comment:

    Anonymous said...

    Religion is a "touchy" subject to say the least. For some who tout that they practice a loving, peaceful "Faith", nothing seems to to stir their ire more than analysis of another doctrine or the remote possibility that another religion might contain a few grains of truth.

    In my own personal search to make one iota of sense as to WHY mankind, through the ages and today, can be so cruel and barbaric to one another...and what the solution is...and how I can personally effect a change...I have have studied many different religions.

    Now that I am older, I choose not to practice one religion over another. I ascribe these days to what I call a "Universal Truth" rather than an organized religion.

    Buddhist wisdom fascinates me because it rings so true. In a lot of ways it mirrors Christian teachings. (True Christian teachings, not nominal Christian doctrines).

    Buddha Said: "ABSTAIN FROM TELLING LIES".
    The only adults in this this world who have to tell lies...are criminals...to hide their dirty deeds.

    Being almost forty years old, and not a criminal, who do I have to lie to? Nobody. Not my husband, not my children, not my workmates, not my friends...nobody...and most of all not myself. It's very freeing.

    I am speaking about universal truth, not, "Does this dress make my butt look big?", truth. In which case, "Speak the truth IF it is useful and timely" would apply!

    In the "Buddha Said" clip I also appreciate the fact that there is a fine line between "trying too hard and not trying hard enough" to do anything...especially self improvement. Rome was not built in a day...it was built in two days.

    I think sometimes we get over whelmed to the point of giving up. That won't work either. There has to be a balance in anything we do from trying to save the world...to just going on a diet. Balance in our activities is the key. "Try, try again"...does work. Never give up on doing what is right.

    We all know what is right and wrong. We don't need a preacher, a politician, a self help book to tell us that. What Buddha said is a "reminder" for us today to help us stay on a Right Path.

    I know I can't change the world, but I can try in my own way to help. I can use my voice (peep) to bring information to others that might help them in a time of need.

    I can say "thank you" when it is appropriate and use my speech to encourage others. You never know when some small act of kindness might really help someone else...so practice it. Practice random acts of kindness...because you can...because it's right.

    If you can't remember the last time you genuinely thanked someone for doing something, ANYTHING, you haven't done it enough. But that's just my opinion.

    Thank you for posting this interesting information on your Blog. Thank you for letting me use my voice to reply, in my own words, so that maybe someone else will be inspired, encouraged and motivated to do the same.

    Buddha said we should be sympathetic to others sufferings, however, that is balanced with celebrating the joy in others' happiness. Even with suffering in the world it's okay to be happy!

    Even Christ taught "Weep with those who weep and rejoice with those who rejoice". Same principal, different teachers. Same universal truth.

    I am grateful for our Freedom of Speech. Not everyone is allowed to have it and use it as we in the western world. It should never be taken for granted.